Top 10 Features for a better Understanding on Temporary Worker Visa – Tier 5 (Government Authorized)


Work and travel to the UK with your Tier 5 Visa, the ideal solution for your UK travel and working visa problems. The Tier 5 Visa route enables International Students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to carry out temporary work experience, internships or approved training in the UK after their studies, of between 6 – 12 months depending on the position.

The Tier 5 Program includes 4 categories:

  1. Work Experience Programme – Most popular discussed below
  2. Research Programme
  3. Training Programme
  4. Overseas Government Language Programme

Who may apply? – Students (Currently pursuing a Degree or a Diploma) OR Fresh graduates (Must start Internship within 12 months of graduating)

Top 10 Features

  1. This programme is aimed at students/graduates who wish to do a period of work experience or training in the UK.
  2. The time duration is usually up to 12 months for work experience but can be up to 24 months for specific research or training. The length of time will depend on the scheme applied for.
  3. The visa is organised through a Government Authorised Exchange sponsor on behalf of students (and employers) –Vira International will arrange
  4. The GAE sponsor must issue a certificate of sponsorship before the individual can apply for the visa, Vira International will be responsible for this too.
  5. The internship or training program will be paid – UK min. Wage
  6. The post must be a skilled role, supernumerary (i.e. not a vacant job), temporary, and pay at or above the level of the national minimum wage.
  7. Students/graduates can apply from within the UK to switch from a Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 5 GAE visa if the job is directly relevant to their degree.
  8. Students/graduates can do a Tier 5 role not directly related to their degree but they must apply from their home country.
  9. Students/graduates must also have ‘proof of support’ funds of at least £945. These savings must have been in your bank account for at least 90 days before application.
  10. The individual must leave the UK on completion of the period of work experience and cannot switch to Tier 2 within the UK. However, if a Company wants to offer the person full-time employment in the UK, they can apply for a Tier 2 visa for them once they have returned to their home country, but the more stringent version of the rules will apply.


If you want advice on deciding whether Tier 5 is the appropriate visa route for you to stay in the UK to work, please contact Vira International or email your Queries to anjum@vira.co.uk or call us directly on 020-88635811

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We take processes apart, rethink, rebuild, and deliver them back working smarter than ever before.