Recruit Teachers from Overseas


In just over 9-weeks the UK will launch the new points-based system which will change how you employ teachers who are not UK or Irish nationals. This will effect everyone from the EEA coming to the UK from 1 January 2021 and as an employer, you need to be aware of this and ensure you are prepared.

If you are not already on the register of sponsors, you will need to ensure that you apply for a sponsor licence to enable you to hire teachers from overseas on a Skilled Worker Visa, this licence can be held by the employing local authority, multi-academy trust or school.

Skilled Worker visa

Overseas teachers can apply for a Skilled Worker visa under the following conditions:

  • you as the employer are a licensed Home Office employer sponsor and have offered the overseas teacher a teaching job
  • the overseas teacher can speak, read, write and understand English
  • the role pays at least £20,480 or the relevant minimum rate for teachers in England, whichever is higher – for anyone working part time, pro-rata rates will apply as long as they earn at least £20,480 a year

Vira International, an OISC regulated immigration provider can assist you with all your immigration needs to ensure you are ready and prepared from 1 January 2020.

Call our offices on 020 8863 581 to speak with one of our experienced consultants to see how we can help you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We take processes apart, rethink, rebuild, and deliver them back working smarter than ever before.