From January 2021, the UK will open a new immigration route called ‘Hong Kong BN(O) Visa’ for BN(Overseas) Citizens and their close family members, even if they do not have BN(O) status themselves.
At present BN(O) citizens can only enter the UK as a visitor without a visa, however, they do not have the right to live, work or study in the UK.
The new route will allow British National (Overseas) citizens the right to live and work in the UK and obtain full British citizenship.
BNOs will initially be granted leave to enter or remain for 30 months, extendable by a further 30 months or granted a single period of 5 years. After 5 years they will be able to apply for settlement and after a further 12 months will be able to apply for citizenship.
The main requirements are as follows, must:
- be a British National (Overseas) citizen
- normally live in Hong Kong
- be able to show they are able to maintain and accommodate themselves in the UK for at least 6 months
- show a commitment to learn English
- obtain a TB test certificate from an approved clinic
These are the main requirements but the exact requirements an applicant will need to satisfy will depend on their individual circumstances.
Please contact us should you require any assistance with your Hong Kong BN(O) visa application.