As the UK enters a new phase with a point-based system (PBS) for immigration, you might be wondering about the advantages of hiring migrant workers. After all, getting a Sponsor Licence for the UK seems like a lot of effort. Would it be worth it?
A study conducted by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) in 2015 revealed a plethora of benefits reaped by businesses employing migrant workers. The study found migrant worker contributions improved business productivity and performance. They also discovered migrant workers actively fuelled the expansion of the businesses they worked for into new markets.
Furthermore, they noted some of the following benefits businesses experienced after employing migrant workers:
- Unexpected innovation or improvements due to increased diversity in the business
- Well connected migrants help businesses discover and expand into new markets
- Niche knowledge of migrant workers fill UK skills gaps and contribute to upskilling local employees
- Businesses could better grow their workforce, complete orders and increase their fulfilment capacity
Sounds good, right?
The new points-based system (PBS) for entering the UK
Whatever your business, if you appreciate the advantages of hiring migrant workers, you will need to familiarise yourself with the new PBS system. There are a few different routes for workers wanting to enter the UK. For example, the Global Talent Scheme and a separate pathway for students and graduates.
However, as an employer, you will most likely want to use the process for skilled workers. Potential employees will need to at least fit the following criteria:
- Speak English
- Have a job at the minimum skill level of RQF3 (A-level)
- A minimum annual salary of £25,600
- Or a minimum annual salary of £20,480 + PhD or a shortage occupation
- A job offer from an approved employer-sponsor (that’s where you come in)
Getting your sponsor licence for the UK
To employ skilled workers applying through the PBS system, you will first need to get a sponsor licence. You can complete the application for a sponsor licence for the UK through the government website. However, there is an overabundance of information to trawl through as well as complex requirements and considerations you must know about before applying. If it all seems a bit off-putting and overwhelming, this is where Vira can help. We have immigration experts ready to assist you in preparing your application for a sponsor licence.
We can help you with every step along the way to successfully complete the process with confidence. For more information, email us at email@example.com