Visitor Visa

Home- Visitor Visa

If you are from outside the EEA or Switzerland looking to visit the UK for leisure, business, medical treatment etc. you must apply for a standard visitor visa, unless you are a non-visa national (Japan, USA, Canada etc.)


As a non-visa national you are not required to apply for a visit visa, but if you have a criminal record or you’ve previously been refused entry into the UK, it is recommended to apply for a visit visa.


You will be also be required to apply for a visit visa, if you are visiting the UK to get married or to form a civil partnership, or to give notice of this(Marriage Visitor Visa),  or seeking to visit the UK for more than 6 months.


You can apply for a visitor visa 3 months prior to your travel date. Any application submitted earlier may not be accepted by the UKVI.  A decision on the application should be normally be provided within 3 weeks of the application.


You may apply for up to six months’ visitor visa and may be able to extend the visa for further 6 months, if you are receiving medical treatment in the UK.If you are an academic on sabbatical and coming to the UK for research, you may be able to stay up to 12 months.


If you are a regular visitor and can prove that you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you also have the option to apply for a long-term visit visa which  can last for 2,5  or 10 years. You will only be allowed to stay up to 6 months during each visit.


Consultants at Vira International are OISC regulated advisors, who are able and happy to assist you with any queries you might have. Please email Ms. Amita Chaudhary at; alternatively contact them at 02088635211 for further assistance.